Look. It’s been a tough time for quite literally everyone and one thing we’ve all somewhat mastered during the lockdown (1.0 and 2.0 now, thanks Karens) is the ability to not starve through forceful culinary upskilling. What this means is that food – like always – has perhaps been the only solace for most of us now, coming through for us time and again to wrap us in a blanket of comfort for when we want to cry.
Or maybe that’s just me.
Doesn’t matter. This Cheesy Broccoli soup is less soup and more… sludge. But delicious sludge full of nutrition and packed with flavour. I love it so much for how easy it is, and how versatile its ingredients are – in that as long as you have broccoli and… well cheese, everything else is fair game – and lastly because it’s perhaps the healthiest dish that’s ever going to be on this blog.
So feast your eyes dear reader, because ya girl has unlocked a new feature from the never-ending journey that is adulthood: The Not-Everything-Requires-A-Ton-Of-Butter-To-Taste-Good badge.
Before we get on with the recipe, I want to preface by saying that this recipe has been highly inspired by Half Baked Harvest’s Instant pot broccoli cheddar and zucchini soup. The recipes are similar enough that you can literally just go on their post and make their soup, but I made mind with what I had on hand. Not Cheddar, for instance.
Also the photos of my dish are rather abysmal – sticking to the sludge narrative a lot more than I would have liked – but I never claimed to be a professional food photographer (or any of those words individually). Anyway, here’s a little photo of how it turned out.
And here’s another one for what it looked like without cheese – which is completely possible and may even taste better in some cases. So feel free to straight up skip the cheese and bask is that ~broccoli broth~
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp of your oil of choice (mine was olive)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 2 chopped zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 tsp thyme (dried powder or seeds)
- 1 tsp red chili powder of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups of vegetable broth (I used bullion cubes in water)
- A whole ass broccoli (or more, up to you). Florets only
- Bay leaves to taste (I used 2-3)
- 150 ml milk
- Couple handfuls of shredded cheese of your choice (optional!)
- Take a large (large) pot, melt the oil & butter – add some pepper to bloom
- Add in the onion, cook for ~5 minutes then stir
- Then add your carrots, zucchini, chili powder, thyme seeds and more salt + pepper and stir well for another 5 minutes
- Add in your brother, broccoli and bay leaves. Cover the pot and let it cook cook for at least 12 minutes on medium-high heat
- Discard the bay leaves, pour your soup/broth mixture into a blender and (carefully! it’s hot!) puree the shit out of it.
- Please please please make sure you do NOT pour any watery parts of the soup in the blender. Burns and Regrets will be had
- Stir in the milk and (optional) cheese, let it cook for another 5 minutes on low heat and voila
- Eat alone or with croutons because why not
Here is the playlist I listened to while I waited for my soup to cook. We don’t believe in timers because Ok Google can’t translate my accent.
Adding In Onions And Waiting For ~5 minutes: She’s My Winona (Fall Out Boy)
Adding Other Veggies And Cooking For ~5 minutes: Ticket to Hollywood (Jhoom Barabar Jhoom)
Broth + Broccoli – The 12 Minute Wait: Neverland (U-KISS), Stand By Me (SHINee), ON (BTS), Buttercup (Jack Stauber)
Letting The Dairy Gang Cook for 5 minutes: Gulaabo (Shaandaar)
(I never said the songs were good).
I’m hoping the next post is Halloween themed, but I honestly don’t trust myself enough to commit.
See you ❤